Mardi Gras season is here, which means it’s also crawfish season! So here is a recipe to spice up the way you serve your crawfish this year. Delicious crawfish meat is fritter fried into crispy golden “beignets” and served with a spicy Cajun dipping sauce. Yum!
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 pound chopped cooked crawfish tail meat or shrimp
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
Cajun Dipping Sauce:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish optional
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, crawfish, onions, butter, salt, and cayenne. Stir in flour until blended.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Once the surface begins to shimmer, reduce the heat to low.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, pepper sauce, and horseradish if desired. Serve with beignets.