SB Art Junior: The Graduating Class of 2019
“When one door closes, another opens.”
Alexander Graham Bell is credited with this, but did you know the quote continues?
“But we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
High school can sometimes feel like that, especially on the precipice of graduation. While the last four years may have seemed like all that matters, the world is now at the fingertips of this year’s SB Art Junior graduating class of 2019.
SB Magazine teamed up with Shreve Memorial Library to continue the online series profiling 16 graduating seniors. Their interests ranged from dance, music and acting to technology and more. SB Magazine worked with teachers, principals and counselors to select one student to represent their high school. Their commonality: being creative.
“Working with SB Magazine to highlight these amazing students in Shreveport-Bossier City has been so exciting,” said Samantha Bonnette, marketing and development manager for SML. “This has been a great way for the library to connect with our teen patrons.”
You can find all the SB Art Junior 2019 stories at sbmag.net.
Throughout the year, Shreve Memorial Library offers a wide variety of programs for teens and tweens (ages 11-17). All programs are free and open to the public. Programs are offered at all 21 Shreve Memorial Library branches (however, specific programs may vary at each branch). Programs include coding clubs/classes, teen hang or teen scene, game nights, art clubs, STEAM & Robotics programs and DIY crafts.
This summer, SML will offer the following programs for teens (in addition to the regularly scheduled programs listed above) as part of the Universe of Stories Summer Reading Program:
- Build a Rocket with Exhibits on the Go — Learn how to design, build and launch their very own rocket.
- Cue the Cleverbot — Powered by breakthrough emotive AI, Cue is a witty robot with attitude. Share your world with Cue as it talks, texts and laughs with you.
- Harry Potter Kano Coding Kit —Make fire flow, pumpkins glow, feathers fly, goblets multiply, paint pictures, compose music and more.
- Make Your Own Light-Up Box — Learn about completing circuits using paper clips, brads and copper tape to decorate a light-up box of their own.
- Mixed Media Space Art with Eric Francis — Teens are invited to create mixed media space art with the local artist.
- Retro Gaming — Test retro gaming skills by enjoying some classic Atari, Sega and Nintendo games.
- Retro Space Art — Teens are invited to create their own retro space art. All supplies will be provided.
- Watercolor Galaxy — Learn to paint the complexity of the universe using watercolors. All supplies will be provided.
In addition to programming, SML also offers the following resources for teens:
- All public school students in Caddo Parish schools are able to use their student ID as a virtual student library card. This allows them to check out books or DVDs and access all of the library’s available digital resources.
- Homework Louisiana is an online resource available with the Shreve Memorial Library card or virtual student library card. Homework Louisiana is powered by Tutor.com and provides free online tutoring, test prep resources, homework help and more.
- Large teen/young adult book collection
- Computers and study rooms for public use (FREE WIFI!)
Sponsored by Shreve Memorial Library.