We all know a dog is a man’s best friend, but determining exactly which type of dog fits the “manly” mold can be a bit trickier. So whether you’ve got a pooch in your life, or you’re looking to get one so you can have a full-time running buddy and wingman, here is a look at the 10 coolest, spunkiest dog breeds with the best personalities and fitness levels.
10. Irish Setter. The Irish setter is a classic, well-known breed of dog. With a coat that cannot be matched, it is almost impossible to walk past an Irish setter and not feel compelled to pet it. They are ridiculously friendly, making them the perfect wingmen.
9. Mastiff. A breed admired for its bravery and used for centuries as guard, hunting and war dogs, Mastiffs are one of the largest and most powerful breeds of dog.
8. Boxer. First, there is the name. It instantly makes you think of the sport, which is as manly as can be. Boxers are known to be very energetic, requiring regular exercise. They are natural guardians who love to be with their owner.
7. English Bulldog. A short yet powerful breed with a heavy build and lots of wrinkles, English bulldogs are also easily recognized by their short muzzle and distinctive under bite. Perfect for less active homes, bulldogs love to eat and sleep and are recognized for their gentle, easygoing dispositions.
6. Border Collie. Border collies are the thinking man’s dog. They have been lauded as the best herding dogs for decades and it has as much to do with their brains as it does with their physical attributes. They know how to get the job done, no matter what the job is.
5. Siberian Husky. Almost everything about huskies screams manly. They are as muscular as dogs come – strong and resilient – and they are almost majestic when you first lay your eyes on one. Then, there is their lineage, which traces its roots back to wolves.
4. German Shepherd. Originally used to guard and herd flocks of sheep but is used today as companion, police, guide and guard dog, their confidence is only matched by their agility and durability. What could be ‘manlier’ than that?
3. Doberman Pinscher. Often mistaken as a nasty guard dog with a sharp bite, but when properly socialized, they are much more docile, intelligent and friendlier than they’re perceived. They are extremely loyal and offer a great mix of protection and personality.
2. Golden Retriever. A dog breed that everyone loves, both men and women. Their eyes alone could make the coldest of hearts melt with feelings of pure love and care. Golden retrievers are versatile and gentle. They consider it their mission to make people happy.
1. Labrador Retriever. Labrador retrievers are an instant favorite. They have been one of the most popular breeds in the world for decades. People simply love their calm demeanor, their warmth and their classic good looks. And any man who owns a Labrador does not need to prove himself to anyone.
Check out more amazing dogs in our gallery from Barkus and Meoux’s Pet Parade here.