Something sweet for your sweetie this Valentine’s Day, these miniature strawberry shortcake triffes are simple to make and delicious to eat. Use small glassware to serve each individual treat and add a sprinkle of red sugar on top for garnish.
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose our, plus more for dusting pan
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, diced
- 3 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and our an 18 x 13-inch rimmed baking sheet. In a mixing bowl, whisk together our, cornstarch, salt, baking soda and baking powder for 20 seconds, set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip together butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time then mix in vanilla. Add 1/3 of the our mixture and mix just until combined then add in 1/2 the sour cream and mix just until combined, repeat with our and sour cream once more then end by mixing last 1/3 of the our mixture and mixing just until combined (scrape down bowl to ensure it’s evenly combined).
- Pour batter evenly into baking sheet. Bake for about 20-24 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 24 rounds the size of your dessert cups.
- For the strawberry layer, toss diced strawberries with sugar. Let marinate 10 minutes.
- Assemble triffles by layering cake, strawberries and whipped cream. Repeat. Top with sugar.