7 Skincare Tips to Follow this Spring
When spring arrives, everyone is ready for change — whether it’s a deep clean of your home or perhaps a new health and beauty routine. This season, make it a point to start taking better care of the largest organ of your body — your skin!
Here are seven skincare tips you can start following this spring for flawless skin:
- Never go to bed with makeup on. Let’s all promise to never go to bed without removing our makeup, no matter how tired we are. This one skincare tip can save you from lots of breakouts and other skin conditions. Always go to bed with cleansed skin. If you’re too lazy, keep makeup remover wipes by your bedside to remove your makeup. However, using makeup remover and then washing your face with water afterward is still the preferred method of removing makeup.
- Hydration is key. Whether you have dry skin or oily skin, you need to hydrate and moisturize your skin so that it stays soft and smooth. If your reason for skipping moisturizer is that you have oily skin, then let me assure you that oily skin needs a moisturizer too. Go for a water-based moisturizer in this case. Also make sure to hydrate internally by drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day.
- Swear by sunscreen. Whenever you’re going out during the daytime, regardless of whether the sun is up or down, you need to wear sunscreen. Think of it as a rule of thumb. Never go out without sunscreen, even if you’re in a hurry. People may get relaxed with putting on sunscreen during spring because pleasant weather can lead us to underestimate the sun. In fact, I’ve been told that springtime is a high-risk season for sunburns and sun damage. Ultraviolet rays from the sun can easily damage your skin, resulting in premature aging and dark spots. Sunscreen will save you from these effects. Many skincare products and make-up have sunscreen in them like It Cosmetics CC Cream, which has SPF 50 in the product to provide convenience for the consumer.
- Avoid touching your face. Your hands contain millions of bacteria on them from all sorts of places including your mobile phones, laptops, and dust that has accumulated on your skin. Therefore, avoid touching your face with your hands unless you absolutely need to. Make sure your hands are clean before you touch your face. A trick to not touch your face while at home is to wear gloves. You could even do a treatment for softer hands while they are in the gloves.
- Use a clay mask at least once a week. Clay masks are known to remove impurities and dirt from your pores and clear them up. Clays like bentonite* and kaolin are excellent for this purpose. Give yourself a spa treatment at home by applying a face mask once every week. My favorite go-to homemade clay mask is one that I whip up with bentonite clay. This clay obtained from volcanic ash and has silica and iron in it, which are two things our skin loves. Bentonite clay tightens the pores and detoxifies the skin all while making the skin soft and smooth.
- Always clean your skin after a workout session. Treat your skin with a shower after you’re done working out. This will remove all the toxins from your skin that accumulated during the workout keeping your skin soft and smooth. I always pack facial wipes to use after I work out. They are so easy to use because you simply take them out of the pack, use them and then throw them away. Some of my favorite facial wipes are Neutrogena, Cetaphil, Oil of Olay, and Shea Moisture.
- Lip balm makes your lips look great and nourishes them too. Suffering from dry lips after months of cold weather? The best way to combat dry lips is by using a lip balm that will restore the moisture of your skin. This past winter was very harsh on my lips and a product that has restored my lips is Neosporin Lip Health Overnight Healthy Lips Renewal Therapy Petrolatum Lip Protectant. I have been using this product every night and my lips are as soft and supple as a baby’s skin.
*Bentonite Clay Mask recipe
- a glass or plastic bowl (do not use a metal bowl)
- 1 teaspoon of bentonite clay
(can be purchased at health food stores)
- 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
(use water if you have sensitive skin)
In a bowl, mix together the clay with apple cider vinegar and then apply to face avoiding the eye area. Suggestion: put cucumber slices on your eyes. Let the mixture dry on your face, rinse off and then apply your favorite moisturizer.