The Wow Factor in Twelve Oaks
When Steven and Karen Boulware built their home in Twelve Oaks, they wanted to do something very contemporary and modern. But mostly they wanted that “wow” factor when family and friends walked through the front door.
Square Feet: 3,400
If you look up multi-tasking in the dictionary, you will find a photo of Karen Boulware. While she was overseeing the construction of her new home in Twelve Oaks, she was also was planning her wedding and opening her dental practice.
We are happy to report the wedding went well, the dental practice is humming along and Karen and her husband, Steven, are crazy about their new home.
“I bet Karen went through a thousand plans before we found the one we liked,” Steven said.
Karen took that plan and modified it to her specifications. Then the Boulwares gave the plans to Steven’s cousin, Johnny Wimberly, who owns Wimberly Custom Homes. As we say, the rest is history.
“I love the whole building process,” Karen said. “I would do it again.”
But there’s no rush. The Boulwares want to enjoy their new home for a few more years. And what a home they have designed and built. Since most of the homes in Twelve Oaks have a country French feel on the outside, they wanted that “wow” factor when family and friends walked through the front door. Mission accomplished.
“We love Twelve Oaks because it’s a neighborhood for young families,” Karen said.
Steven agreed. “It’s a neighborhood where children can play outside, where kids can be kids.”
Steven’s sensibilities are more modern; Karen’s taste is more contemporary. So, the house is contemporary with a touch of modern. It has an eclectic feel. The open floor plan is perfect for entertaining. That’s perfect, because the Boulwares love to entertain.
There are several features in Karen and Steven’s home that set it apart:
- The floating staircase is unique and immediately catches your eye. (Actually, in the original plan, the staircase was in the middle of the great room, but Karen convinced the builder to move it.) The railing for the staircase was custom made by a local welder.
- They also have floating shelves.
- The backsplash in the kitchen is Ann Sachs gold leaf tile.
- Floor-to-ceiling windows in the great room provide plenty of natural light.
- The huge island in the kitchen is a great place to cook and for friends to gather.
- The circular, zebrawood spiral table and mirrored wall in the formal dining room are other elements that contribute to that “wow” factor.
- The surround-sound system is woven throughout the entire home, as well as the patio and pool area.
- Six-inch plank white oak wood floors give the home an open feel.
- The master bath is accented with black, stainless steel penny round tile.
Karen also gives credit to Amanda Haynie, owner/designer at Milling Around, for helping with interior decorating. “Any idea I had, I wanted Amanda to reinforce it. We had to agree on everything.”
The custom pool, built by Morehead Pools, adds to the entertaining aspect of the home. The pool has a glass tile bar with barstools, glass tile perimeter overflow spa and a tanning ledge. The custom lighting around the stone steps are also very cool.
Just like the rest of the Boulware home.