8 Things You May Not Know About The American Rose Center
The American Rose Center is the largest park in America dedicated to roses and is the headquarters of the American Rose Society. The American Rose Center is a non-profit organization with the goal of helping people grow better roses.
- The American Rose Society is the oldest single plant society in the U.S., founded in 1892. This year the American Rose Society celebrates its 42nd anniversary in Shreveport.
- The American Rose Center is 118 acres with about 55 acres of developed gardens. There are 73 individual gardens with thousands of varieties of roses. There are about 15,000 rosebushes at the American Rose Center.
- There are more than 70,000 named roses. The American Rose Society is the International Cultivar Authority for Roses. This designation means they record the names of all roses registered worldwide.
- One of the oldest rose varieties the American Rose Center has in its garden is the Fantin-Latour, which dates to before 1900.
- There is a year-round natural garden for family picnics, photos and nature walks.
- Rose tea and rose jelly are available at the American Rose Center.
- The oldest book at the American Rose Center is Ros Rosarum, Ex horto poetarum from 1786. This is a book of Latin rose poetry.
- Morning is the best time to smell roses. As the day grows warmer, it dampens the scent of the rose.